First Building 1930:B. D. Billinghurst Junior High School opened on the west side of Plumas Street between Monroe Street and Walker Avenue. It was named for Benson Dillon Billinghurst, a long-time Superintendent of the Reno School District. It was closed in 1976 and torn down. The gym still remains and is used by the City of Reno as a recreational facility and the site is used as a park.
Current Building:B.D. Billinghurst Middle School was named for Benson Dillon Billinghurst, who was Superintendent of Reno Schools from 1908 to 1935. Dr. Billinghurst introduced the concept of the junior high school, opening the Northside Junior High School in 1924 and the original Billinghurst Junior High School in1930. The original Billinghurst school was designed by Ferris & Erskine Architects with Ralph Warren as the first principal. It closed in December 1975. As an attorney, Dr. Billinghurst authored many of Nevada’s school laws and introduced vocational and adult education classes. Dr. Billinghurst has been called “…one of the founding fathers of our modern day school system”.
Washoe County School District Board of Trustees:
Bill H. Bowden Kevin Christiansen
Doranna Goodnight Douglas Roman Hill
Robert Kirchner J. Kay Loudon
Virginia Palmer Edward Van Gorder
Robert Whittemore Michael Wright
Superintendent of Schools at time of construction:
Opening Date: 1990
Architect: Lundahl & Associates
Contractor: Nevada Builders, Inc.
Construction Cost: $9,754,704
Square Footage: 118,167
Cornerstone Dates: AD 1990 AL 5990
First Principal: Ken Vaughan
Physical Building Description:
Cinder block, single story construction with interior circulation corridors, a gymnasium, a library, multipurpose room/cafeteria and lab rooms in addition to general purpose classroom.