School Name History:
Mount Rose was one of four mission style schools built in Reno from 1910-1912 at a cost
of $39,743.00. Orvis Ring and Mary S. Doten schools are no longer standing. McKinley
Park School is now being used as a Community Center.
Mount Rose was closed for
refurbishment in 1977 due to pressure from the community to preserve one school from
this group as an example of the architectural significance of this period and to maintain a
school in the surrounding neighborhood. Mount Rose shares its name with a mountain
that stands to the west of the Truckee Meadows in the Sierra Nevada.
Washoe County School District Board of Trustees:
Bill H. Bowden Lloyd Diedrichsen
Gene Hillygus H. Elizabeth Lenz
J. Kay Loudon Robert McQueen
William A. O’Brien, III Virginia S. Palmer
Myra Ritter Jerry Carr Whitehead
Superintendent of Schools at time of construction: Marvin Picollo
Opening Date: 1911 ,1981*
Architect: Clark Gribben & Associates
Contractor: Ian McSween Construction Company
Construction Cost: $1,764,040
Square Footage: 33,468
Cornerstone Dates: None found
First Principal: Bob Shoemaker (in 1981)
Physical Building Description:
Two story brick construction with a stucco veneer and interior corridor circulation. One
of four original mission style schools.
*NOTE: The listing of the Board of Trustees, the construction date, and the construction
cost reflect the date of the major revitalization.