Thanks to passage of WC-1 in November 2016, we are able to build new schools to relieve current overcrowding, accommodate growth, and provide updated facilities. This page will be constantly updated to show project progress as new schools are approved, designed, planned, and built; check back often for updates.
The plan for new schools over the next decade (presented to voters prior to the election):
Build 3 new high schools, plus an expansion of Damonte Ranch High School
Build 3 new middle schools
Build 9 new elementary schools
- Expansion of Damonte Ranch High School - Location: Expand existing facility at 10500 Rio Wrangler Pkwy. Projected completion: During the 2017-18 school year Status: Construction contract awarded, broke ground 3/16/2017 Purpose: Relieve overcrowding at current high school, and provide capacity for this high-growth area Contractor: Clark/Sullivan Construction Architect: GML Architects 22 classrooms will be added East Wing Addition 5 Classrooms 1 Business Lab West […]
- New High School at Wildcreek (Procter Hug High School area) - NEW: Full site analysis of all locations considered. Location: On part of the current Wildcreek Golf Course Status: Negotiating land acquisition from County, updating Educational Specifications.* Local governments voted on May 1 to move forward with research, public input, and efforts to make the project a reality. Golf would remain “as-is” on site through Summer 2018, and then […]
- Middle School – Spanish Springs - Location: In new Kiley Ranch development (land purchase finalized 8/23/17!) . Projected completion: Our goal is to open by August 2019. Status: Architectural design by Van Woert Bigotti Architects, CMAR Contractor CORE Construction. Purpose: Relieve overcrowding at other middle schools in the area, and relieve overcrowding at nearby elementary by moving sixth grade to middle school (a long-term […]
- Middle School – Sun Valley - Location: In process of securing land. Best current option is BLM land at far north end of Sun Valley. Projected completion: Our goal is to open by August 2019. Status: Purchasing land, architectural design by Van Woert Bigotti Architects, CMAR Contractor CORE Construction. Purpose: 1,400 student capacity middle school will provide area with long-needed facility, relieve overcrowding […]
- Elementary School – South Meadows Area “Bella Vista” Neighborhood - *New* Now soliciting community votes on the semifinalist names for this school. Learn more about the naming process and guidelines, or give us your ranking of the top names through this survey. Location: “Bella Vista” development, which is located to the southeast of the intersection of Veterans and South Meadows parkways. Land donated by Toll Brothers (thank you!) Projected […]
- 8 New Elementary Schools - 8 New Elementary Schools Locations: Throughout the county at locations to be determined, first one likely in Spanish Springs (Kiley Ranch) area Status: Purchasing land Purpose: Relieve overcrowding and accommodate future growth.
- Middle School – South Reno - *NEW* Townhall announced to discuss the project. The U.S. Forest Service is moving ahead with transferring the land. WCSD will hold a townhall at Hunsberger Elementary School on October 11, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. in the multipurpose room. More information from USFS on their process for transferring land: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=52446 Location: in process of securing land. Current […]
- High School – Butler Ranch/Donner Springs area - Location: To be determined by land acquisition Status: Purchasing land, updating Educational Specifications.* Purpose: Relieve overcrowding at multiple high schools, and accommodate projected growth in area (particularly in South Reno).
- High School – Cold Springs area - Location: To be determined by land acquisition Status: Purchasing land, updating Educational Specifications.* Purpose: Relieve overcrowding at other high schools (especially, but not limited to, North Valleys High School), and accommodate projected growth in area.